Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Garden tomato salsa

So I'm the crazy health nut lady now.  There's that.  It started out as "desperate times call for desperate measures," but I very quickly began wearing my crunchiness with pride!

Cultured vegetables are something that I have added to the arsenal of healing foods in our kitchen.  So, with all the fresh produce coming in from the garden and farmer's market, I am culturing my vegetables like mad!

One of our favorite cultures this summer has been homemade salsa made from fresh garden tomatoes.  We already love salsa, so culturing just adds the benefit of some amazing probiotics and super-powering of the vitamins already present in the various vegetables used.

I used this recipe I found online, and it is soooo good!




Some departures from the original recipe that I linked:

I had to leave mine out on the counter in an air-lock jar for five or six days before I saw any signs of bubbly ferment.  I think it's because I pretty much liquefied my tomatoes.  I think if I would have left the tomatoes more chunky, it wouldn't have taken so long.  But I like how mine turned out.  Just know that it's pretty much up to you to keep an eye on any cultured veggies you make to know when they are ready for refrigeration. Also, I didn't de-gas like the recipe calls for.  I just treated this like all my other ferments, and threw a lid on it and put it in the fridge for a week before we called it ready. 




3 comments:

  1. This looks SO yummy! We love salsa at our house, so I feel sure it would be a big hit. So thankful to have found your blog on the link-up tonight! I am your newest follower. :) God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is very yummy! Thanks for following! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed you back, Cheryl. You have a beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...