Monday, February 2, 2009

Seasons of a Mother's Heart

I read Sally Clarkson's book about the different seasons for a mother more than 10 years ago. Little did I know then what seasons lay ahead for me. Since that time, I have gone from being a young mother of two preschoolers to being a homeschool mom of 5 with another one on the way. Along the journey I have experienced the roller coaster ride of life. My years as a mother have been filled with times of high energy and excitement, calm and contentment, and just being plain worn out. Some days have left me feeling like I'm kind of getting good at this mom thing. Some days have tried my patience and won.

Because the kids and I get to spend so much time together, even the hardest days are still sprinkled with precious, precious moments... the unexpected "I love you, Mommy", the silly faces only a three year old can make, the inside joke I laugh about with my teenage son, the ideas that come flowing out of my creative daughter, the way the baby lays her head down on my shoulder and pats my arm when I get her out of her crib.

This most recent season, one of another first trimester of pregnancy, has been draining. I was nauseous and very tired. I had pregnancy brain to the point where I wondered if I would ever be able to think clearly again. Obviously, I didn't blog much. Getting through the day was about all I could do for a couple of months. But I really did know that it was just for a season. My fog is beginning to lift, and I don't even need a nap every day anymore. I am finding a new, revised schedule and have adjusted my goals for schooling this year some. I'm getting myself back!

My new season of energy will only be temporary. I keep reminding myself of this. Make the most of this time, Dawn! Before long, I will be tired again, and after that will be the season of a newborn's first few months. So, I will enjoy my season of productivity once again. And then comes the sweet season of a very different kind of productivity altogether... the seven people in our home getting to bond with our newest little love! Each season is so necessary and makes life so full...

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...