Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sundays

I'm not sure if I've got the whole Sabbath thing down the way we're supposed to. I've studied it some, but haven't come to a real life application of how to make my sabbath truly what it was intended to be. But Sundays are certainly a day of renewal to me. I lay the last week's triumphs and failures to rest and prepare for another week of ministry to my family. Most of my concentration during worship goes to rededicating myself to ministering. I reset my mind's eye toward the serious job I have as a servant to the precious family God has given me. Thank the Lord for His mercy and grace that is called on as I feel for His guidance through my weeks!

Sundays are the days that I do my lesson planning for the week to come. A very big part of that planning is of our devotions, bible lessons, and character talks and stories. Even though it's still summer break, I find myself going through my mind and spirit in search of real life lessons to be shared this week. It would be great if I could just spout out great spiritual truths spontaneously as we go through our week. For the most part, I don't truly plan those teachable moments. But if I do not take time each week to ponder what God is working on in my heart and the hearts of my children, I can find myself floundering and missing opportunities that present themselves in the week to come. I must merge a discipleship plan with that still small voice to be the best Jesus that I can be to my little disciples.

The tools I have used over the years to help me with these lessons for my children are Leading Little Ones to God by Marian M. Schoolland, For Instruction in Righteousness by Pam Forster, Our 24 Family Ways by Clay and Sally Clarkson, Choice Stories for Children selected by Ernest Lloyd, Millers books by Mildred A. Martin, A Hive of Busy Bees by Effie Williams, Christian Worldview for Children by Brannon Howse, various Bible Story books, and the Bible.

As far as the spontaneous part of these lessons, I am working on mastering the art of the "help a mom out here please, God" prayer. I am convinced 1 Thessalonians 5:17 is addressing homeschool moms when it says to pray without ceasing. Ha ha! One thing I know for sure though, is that God sure is faithful to give me direction when I ask for it. I can't tell you how many times I've shot up a prayer and God has supplied me with the right words for the situation. That is a necessity when you have 100 questions a day coming at you from eager little observers. And once again... thank you Lord for watching down in grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...